Breast cancer is a type of cancer originating from breast tissue. We have heard a lot of survivor stories from breast cancer. But its not only about those stories. Even today we don’t talk seriously about this cancer openly.
Here we present you the top 10 facts of breast cancer so that you understand the significance of regular checkups:
1. Approximately 1 Lakh new cases of breast cancer are detected every year in sub-continent.
2. Breast cancer is the 2nd most common cancer found in Indian women.
3. The risk of breast cancer is 1 in 30 women in urban India and 1 in 65 women in rural India. This is due to failure in early detection.
4. In the last decade breast cancer has overtaken cervical cancer as the most common cancer.
5. Early detection of breast cancer can cure almost 80% of cases.
6. The number of new breast cancer patients in Mumbai annually has risen from 1,800 to 3,200 in the past 10 years.
7. Approximately 90,000 cases were detected in the year 2008 with 48,000 deaths in the sub-continent.
8. Goa has the highest number of breast cancer cases in the country.
9. According to WHO ( World Health Organisation) cancer is all set to overtake heart ailments as the biggest killer in the next 2 years.
10.Breast cancer is on the rise largely due to changing lifestyle & dietary patterns among urban women in India. With fewer women opting for babies and lactating for lesser time they are higher risk.
Early detection is the first step towards cure in breast cancer, so go and book an appointment for mammogram today!!