“I would rather die young than live on a diet of lettuce and boiled fish.” Is there anybody who wouldn’t say that?
We are designed to enjoy food, so why not to enjoy it in a proper way.
Here are top 10 ways for eating smart:
1. Eat 5 servings of vegetables and fruits per day: For breakfast have 100% juice or add raisins , berries, or sliced fruit to cereal, pancakes etc. For lunch have vegetable salad or soup with your meal or pile vegetables on your sandwich. For dinner choose vegetables that are green, orange( eg orange, squash) and red(eg tomato or bell peppers).
2. Include 3 servings of whole grain foods everyday: To identify whole grain products check the ingredients list. The first ingredient should be a whole grain such as “whole grain oats” or “whole grain wheat” or “whole wheat”.
3.Consume a calcium rich food at each meal: Good options include low-fat and non-fat milk, cheese or yogurt, tofu, broccoli, dried beans, spinach or fortified soya milk.
4.Eat less meat: Rather than making meat the heart of your meal, think of it as a flavoring ingredient.
5. Avoid high fat fast foods: Hot dogs, fried foods, packaged snacks, pastries are most likely to be laden with fat.
6. Check the numbers: When buying prepared foods, choose items that contain no more than 3 grams of fat per 100 calories.
7. Think small: Remember that a dinner size serving of meat should be about a size of a deck of cards, half a cup is a woman’s fist, a pancake is the diameter of a CD.
8.Read labels carefully: Remember that “cholesterol free” doesn’t necessarily mean fat free. Avoid products that contain saturated coconut oil, palm oil, lard or hydrogenated fats.
9. Switch to low-fat and no-fat dairy products: Rather than buying whole fat dairy products, choose skim milk, fat-free sour cream and low- or non-fat yogurt.
10. The brighter the better: When selecting fruits and vegetables choose the most intense colors. A bright orange carrot has more beta carotene than a pale one. Dark green lettuce has more vitamins than lighter ones. Orange sweet potatoes pack more vitamin A than yellow ones.
With all the above tips wish you a lot of good health!!